Home Remedies to Ease TMJ Pain
Are you searching for home remedies to alleviate your TMJ pain?
The TMJ or Temporomandibular joint, and the surrounding network of muscles make it possible to open and close your mouth, eat, and chew food. Anything that affects the normal function of this network may cause pain or that annoying popping and cracking.
5 easy steps for relief
Your first step in treating jaw pain should be a thorough exam from your dentist to determine how serious and what is causing your pain. Depending on the results of the exam, your treatment plan may include a home remedy. The following home remedies that have worked quite well for some people who experience TMJ pain.
- Avoiding hard crunchy foods, such as, carrots, celery sticks, nuts, and hard candies and switching to a soft food diet may help. Excess stress on your muscles and TMJ caused by eating hard foods is a common culprit.
- Exercises, stretches and a massage regimen developed by your dentist to alleviate pain often help. An exercise program may include stretching your facial muscles and relaxation techniques, as some pain is caused by tight muscles that spasm, causing pain.
- Alternating hot and cold packs for 15-20 minutes each help with pain. This home remedy has been used for decades to treat a variety of pain issues.
- Managing the stress in your life and learning relaxation techniques will help with relaxing our jaw muscles and may help you relax during extremely stressful situations.
- Anti-inflammatory medications recommended by your dentist to relieve pain and are often an effective home remedy.
Don’t tackle it alone. Before attempting any home remedy, consult with your dentist. Some home remedies may cause more harm and worsen your TMJ pain.
TMJ is a complex disorder that often requires the assistance of a qualified dentist. If you would like to learn more about TMJ, download my free e-book. It will help you to get a glimpse of what could be causing your TMJ pain so that you can get the treatment you need.