What Is Temporomandibular Joint Disorder?
A real “jawbreaker” of a name, temporomandibular joint disorder, commonly referred to as TMJ, is caused by a misalignment of your temporomandibular joint, the joint that connects your jaw to your skull.
TMJ Can Be Caused By:
- Grinding your teeth. This often happens at night while you are asleep and can be the result of a misaligned jaw or stress.
- The dislocation of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket of your jaw joint.
- Osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis in your jaw joint.
- Trauma to the jaw sustained maybe in a car crash or nasty fall.
- Stress, which can cause your face and jaw muscles to tighten and your jaw to clench.
TMJ Symptoms Are:
- Pain in your face, especially in your jaw and the muscles that surround it,
- Popping sound when you open and close your mouth
- A tired jaw
- Pain when chewing or talking
- A locked jaw
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms a TMJ disorder is most likely to blame.
Relief From Your TMJ Jaw Pain in Los Gatos
It’s time to say goodbye to pain, clicking, and bouts with a locked jaw. Dr. Nancy Nehawandian of Top Down Dental in San Jose/Los Gatos can help you to find the TMJ jaw pain relief you need. There are many TMJ treatments. You might be able to begin with something as simple as cold and hot compresses. Pain relievers and muscle relaxants may be prescribed. Physical therapy can help you to move your jaw properly to regain a full range of motion without discomfort. A mouth guard tailored to your jaw could also be a solution. When every other avenue has been exhausted, oral surgery is the last resort. We’ll listen to your concerns, evaluate your symptoms, and perform a thorough exam of your jaw and your teeth. Depending on our findings, we may send your x-ray or CT scan. Once we know what’s wrong, we will create a treatment plan that’s uniquely for you. You don’t have to keep suffering from your aching jaw. Make yourself a top priority and let us get to the root of your pain, contact us online or call (408) 354-5600 for an appointment.