Boost the power of your smile with dental bridges
A dentist can fill the gaps left by one or more missing teeth with dental bridges. A dental bridge is just that, a bridge that spans the gap between your remaining teeth.
Each end of the bridge is anchored with cement to your existing teeth (or implants) and a replacement tooth (or teeth) is attached in the middle. Interestingly, the anchor teeth are called abutments and the replacement tooth is called a pontic. In engineering terms, abutments refer to the structure at the end of a bridge span, and pontic comes from the Greek word pontos, meaning sea. This is dental engineering!
A bridge over troubled teeth
Missing teeth can affect both the aesthetics of your smile and the health of your mouth. When you are missing a tooth, or teeth, your remaining teeth may shift. This can lead to a whole set of new problems:
- You may develop TMJ problems because your teeth have shifted and your bite is no longer properly aligned.
- Dental caries or gum disease may develop as food becomes stuck in the gap left by the missing teeth.
- With a missing tooth, speaking and chewing may be more difficult.
- Without the support of the missing tooth, your cheek loses its support structure, causing it to fall inward, and changing the shape of your face.
- Shifting teeth will change your smile, more often than not making it less attractive.
- You may find yourself biting you tongue and cheek more often.
- You may become self-conscious of the gaps in your smile, diminishing your confidence.
Dental bridges and other tooth replacement options can correct or prevent these problems.
Fill your gaps, fix your smile and boost your health
Dental bridges will do all three things for you. At Top Down Dental in San Jose/Los Gatos, Dr. Nancy Nehawandian is trained and experienced in both cosmetic and general dentistry.
With one eye on your beauty and one eye on your health, Dr. Nancy Nehawandian will recontour your abutment teeth to prepare them for crowns that will support the dental bridge. Next she’ll take an impression of your teeth and send it to a dental lab who will use it as a model to make your bridge. While your dental bridge is being fabricated, you’ll be fitted with a temporary bridge to protect your teeth and gums.
When your permanent dental bridge is completed, you’ll head back to Top Down Dental in San Jose/Los Gatos to be fitted. An excellent fit is critical for your smile, oral health and comfort, and Dr. Nehawandian may schedule subsequent visits to make sure you get the best fit possible.
Make your smile whole again
Undertaking dental bridgework by Top Down Dental in San Jose/Los Gatos, is a step in the right direction for your good health and beautiful smile. With her caring commitment and dedication to excellence, Dr. Nancy Nehawandian has the skills and experience you need. Call us today to schedule an appointment,